Lost printing with kernel upgrade

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Jan 14 14:11:48 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 14.01.2005 schrieb Dick Roth um 6:09:

> Hi, Alexander.  I print using lpd/lpr to an HP 882 via a Netgear PS 104
> Print Server.  I've been religious about running up2date regularly, but
> it's been a while since I updated the kernel as you can see above.

Although not each kernel update is a bug fixing security update, you
should take those serious which are. The current one for FC2 is now
kernel-2.6.10-1.9_FC2 - and it is a bug fix kernel.

> My machine uses a Celeron 2.4GHz on an Intel D865PERL with dual nics and
> is using Firestarter as firewall front end and NAT device.  My internal
> net uses fixed IP addressing.  The only thing I changed tonight was the
> kernel, and yes, I updated initscripts when the download became
> available.  I can ping the print server, so I know there is basic
> connectivity.  The system is using Gnome Print Manager 0.0.1 straight
> from the default Gnome menu.  And that's about it!  Any ideas??

I think the PS104 is from the same product line as my PS110. Recently I
had a discussion here on the list with someone with the PS110 too having
problems to print. I found out that the print server communicates in a
way which is blocked by the stateful capabilities of iptables, though
the print network traffic should be recognized and passed. So I suggest
to lower down your shields by stopping your firewall setup (firestarter)
to test whether it blocks the communication with port 515 and the high
port. If this does not help, then you will have to use a tool like
tcpdump to investigate what's happening.

> Dick

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.8_FC2smp
Serendipity 15:03:37 up 3 days, 13:14, load average: 0.74, 0.35, 0.28