DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Jan 14 14:41:02 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 14.01.2005 schrieb Les Mikesell um 15:04:

> > 1) cyrus is hard to administer/install
> > 2) cyrus has lesser possibilities
>
> No exactly.  It's more that
> 1) Cyrus doesn't integrate closely with unix/linux user accounts which
> may or may not be a good thing.  If you are an ISP providing email only
> you may want that.  If you are an office providing file/ftp/print, etc.
> services for all the same users you may double your setup work per user.

>   Les Mikesell

I don't share the second part that opinion. SASLv2 - meanwhile used by
modern MTAs as well Cyrus-IMAPd - has enough options to use existing
users. And by using the autocreate option (patched in) you will have no
handwork to create the mailboxes manually.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.8_FC2smp
Serendipity 15:38:08 up 3 days, 13:48, load average: 0.24, 0.57, 0.57