How to re-install GRUB into MBR easily?

Henry Leparskas hlepar at astro.uwo.ca
Fri Jan 14 15:24:45 UTC 2005

We had some sort of problem in an FC3 installation such that GRUB hangs in
trying to load Stage1.

Suspecting an error in the MBR, we booted again from the FC3 CD1 and asked
for 'Update'.
This took us through the dialogue in which the installer said that it
didn't recognize the boot loader and would we like to install GRUB. We
answered yes, and that we wanted it in the MBR.

Then, in some insane fit, the installation script tells us that because we
have nothing to update it is going to exit without reinstalling the boot
loader.

I recall inflexible behaviour like this from older releases of RH.

How is one supposed to be able to reinstall GRUB into the MBR without
redoing the entire FC3 installation.

Thanks