Make.filename... Clueless

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 15:29:56 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 01:16, Lozza Hyde wrote:
> Ok how do I install a file that doesn't have a rpm extension or can be
> installed through python?  I've never come across anything like this before
> I need help.

If you have a tarball you are trying to install and it follows the
typical convention you would need to do the following after un-tarring
into a work directory:

./configure
make
make install

Of course you need to read the installation notes and README files that
should be in any software you are installing like this.

Understand that this will not update the RPM database nor does it handle
dependencies.  You are responsible for understanding the package you are
installing.  Also if the package you are installing is intended to
replace a package you have installed via RPM I would recommend you
remove the RPM package before you install the new package this way.

Also such packages will most likely be installed under /usr/local and
not where you would find similar RPM packages installed.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

It's not enough to be Hungarian; you must have talent too.
		-- Alexander Korda