Moving a PostgreSQL database from one server to another

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Jan 14 17:18:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 09:33, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 17:20 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > If you leave off the output redirection, do you see any output at all?
> > I guess I'd try a brute-force 'strace  pg_dump flightlog' next and
> > wade through the output for errors opening files, etc.
> >

> Nope, no output at all. And as I'm now seeing, I'm getting nothing
> in /var/log/pgsql either. :-(
>
> I'm sending you the strace output off-list (it's only 20KB, but the rest
> of the list doesn't need the bandwidth use). There are a *LOT* of errors
> in there, but in most cases I cannot determine whether they are material
> to the problem at hand. I did notice specifically that it looks
> for /home/rpaiz/.pgpass several times, a file which I have never created
> and does not exist.
>
> If you can take a look at this, I'd really appreciate it! Something is
> very definitely not working right here.

I replied separately, but it *did* write a message to stderr (file
descriptor 2) and strace only shows the start of it.  I think it
should have been telling you why the connection failed. If you
don't see anything on the screen you need to figure out what
happened to your stderr output.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com