FC3/Gnome CD audio question

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 19:09:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:11:05 -0500, Jon Nettleton
<jon.nettleton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:32:02 -0800, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:23:42 -0500, Charles E Taylor IV
> > <tomalek at mindspring.com> wrote:

> > > If this is a new machine (one that you haven't used to play CDs under
> > > Linux before), do you actually have an audio cable going from your CD
> > > drive to your sound card?  I had that trouble with a machine I built from
> > > parts a while back.
> > >

> > Good question and one I had wondered about myself. I don't know. It's
> > an eMachines box that had Windows XP on it but I never booted XP. I
> > just assumed it had a cable if that was required. Typically (on my
> > machines - this one is my wife's first Linux box) I use alsaplayer
> > which plays digitally and I do not have the audio cable. I guess
> > gnome-cd doesn't do digital playback?
> >
> > I'll check the cable, and I'll check shich drive (DVD or CD) has the
> > cable. Could be either I suppose.
> >
> > thanks for the feedback.
> >
> > - Mark
> >
> > --
> >

> The default cdplayer application doesn't use the analog cable anymore.
>  It reads the data directly from the cdplayer over the ide bus.
> Unfortunately, I have found some problems with certain cdrom drives,
> using this method.  In particular the burners that came with Dell
> Dimension's had this problem. The tell tale sign is a bunch of drive
> seek errors in dmesg.  The easiest solution I found to fix this
> problem was to switch to using goobox as my cdrom player.
> http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=531 (sorry no rpms).  In general
> I find this a much nicer player.
>
> -Jon

Jon,
   Thanks for the info. In my case I have no drive seek errors on
either drive but I still don't get audio. I tried setting up
Alsaplayer but I'm in dependency hell at the moment and don't have
time to deal with that until this evening. I'll try goobox and see if
I can get it installed, again assuming no major dependency problems.

   With the udev update I did this morning I have far more
functionality right now. gnome-cd spins the disk and tries to play it.
It downloads CD info and displays that. Also Music Player opens, sees
the CD and allows me to rip the CD to disk creating ogg files, and the
ogg files play fine, so I'm able to get some music into the house even
though it's not highly automated at the moment.

   This will likely come down to finding the right set of
applications. I use alsaplayer but I think it's dis management
features are not rich enough for my wife. May try Aqualung also...

Thanks very much,
Mark