FC3 Still Hates Me: No Sound

blank mother.of.gods at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 23:53:13 UTC 2005

Craig wrote:

> blank wrote:
>
>> Dave wrote:
>>
>>> OK, next gripe. It detects my hardware, loads modules, I've used
>>> alsamixer to make sure it's unmuted, I've used aRTS Control Tool to
>>> turn up the volume, I've checked settings under aumix, nothing.
>>> There's no longer a "volume control" menu item under "Sound & Video"
>>> or I would have tried that.
>>>
>>> Not even a decent error message. system-config-soundcard says it
>>> found a VIA VT8233/A 8235/8237 AC87 Audio Controller and used module
>>> snd_via82xx. Hitting the 'play test sound' button produces the
>>> following output in the terminal window:
>>> Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
>>>  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
>>>  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>>>  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>>>  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
>>>  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
>>> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/system-config-soundcard/sound-sample.wav' :
>>> Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
>>> Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 44100Hz, got = 48000Hz)
>>>         please, try the plug plugin (-Dplug:hw:0,0)
>>>
>>> No sound shows up.
>>>
>>> /dev/mixer shows up with rw permission for my userid.
>>>
>>> lsmod shows:
>>> snd                    54053  9
>>> snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
>>>
>>> snd_ac97_codec         64401  1 snd_via82xx
>>> snd_mixer_oss          17217  1 snd_pcm_oss
>>> snd_mpu401_uart         8769  1 snd_via82xx
>>> snd_page_alloc          9673  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
>>> snd_pcm                97993  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm_oss
>>> snd_pcm_oss            47609  0
>>> snd_rawmidi            26725  1 snd_mpu401_uart
>>> snd_seq_device          8137  1 snd_rawmidi
>>> snd_timer              29765  1 snd_pcm
>>> snd_via82xx            27237  0
>>> soundcore               9889  1 snd
>>>
>>> Motherboard is an ECS K7VTA3.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>

>> Dave,
>>
>> i have sound.
>>
>> People have been talking about muting this or that in alsamixer.
>> Well, as a "one last time, i'll check this thing out".
>>
>> Well, i didn't have to change any mute settings, but i did change the
>> item "IEC958" from "analog" to "digital". This item is 19 to the
>> right of start in alsamixer.
>>
>> i don't know enough to say if your settings' listings will be the
>> same on another card, but i now have sound for the first time in a
>> few weeks. i am very relieved :)
>>
>> Where else should i make sure this info can be found?
>>
> On the alsa site, also an email to fedoranews.org, fedoraforum.org or
> the fedora
> community portal (fcp.homelinux.org) would all be excellent suggestions.
> Moreover bugzilla redhat to add this into the documentation/fix list
> for fc4,
> which is the next release.
>
> Craig

i will certainly do that. Dave and i have mobos from ECS, Dave's using
the RealTek ALC100/P AC'97 CODEC chip in his Via south bridge, and mine
using a CMI9739/6CH AC'97 CODEC in an Sis south bridge. i browsed around
in the 2.6.10 changelog and it looks like there's a fair amount of work
being done in the [ALSA] area wrt to AC'97 (both of our codec chips
mentioned in several separate entries).

i will certainly let the ALSA folks know what happened and how i fixed
it (not really a fix, more config).

jb