Window List applet on spanning dual head display

Bikehead bikehead at amberpoint.com
Sat Jan 15 14:07:54 UTC 2005

I run a dual head display which I configured after setting up the system
and logging on to my account.  The dual head is set up as a spanning
desktop, and I have windows spanning the two displays. I only have the
default top and bottom panels on the left screen and no panels on the
right which is how the system set it up.

If I have two open windows, one on the left screen and one on the right,
only the window on the same screen as the panel shows up in the window
list applet.  If I move the right window over then it appears in the
window list.  This is a change from fc2 where the single window list
would show all widows over all screens.

After experimentation I realized that if I added another panel on the
right screen with its own window list applet then the window would show
up there.

This is a confusing change from FC2 to FC3 (I'm guessing arising from
the change from gnome 2.6 to 2.8) that appears to leave a user on a
spanning dual display with a broken window list application.  Is there a
way to get the old behavior back?

I should add that the reason that this is pretty important to me is that
I VNC into my machine regularly and VNC only shows the left screen which
happens to have all the panels.  When a new window is created it
sometimes appears on the screen VNC doesn't show.  With FC2 behavior at
least I could move the new window by issuing a move action throught he
window list applet.  With this new behavior I can't get to the window at
all now.

I guess the new behavior wouldn't bug me so much if I could either:
1) find a way for VNC to show me both sides of my dual display
2) find another way to move windows that are off screen.  Currently my
only visibility to off screen windows is through the multiple desktop
tool, but while that allows me to move windows from desktop to desktop
it doesn't let one move a window within the same desktop.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

--
   __o