yum update problem and a request for a command.

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 15:29:47 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:50:55 +0000, Sharon Kimble <skimble04 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have this problem whenever I try to update with yum. It is failing and
> showing this ;-
> Error: missing dep: libisccfg.so.1 for pkg bind-utils
> Error: missing dep: libbind9.so.0 for pkg bind-utils
> Error: missing dep: libdns.so.20 for pkg bind-utils
> Error: missing dep: libisc.so.9 for pkg bind-utils
>
> Two questions - A) Obviously, how do I resolve this problem and what do I
> have to install to do so please?
> B) From memory, there is a command that will identify what packages are
> needed to fulfill these requirements. But, what is it please, such that I
> can find out what is missing myself?
>
> The 'bind-utils' that is installed is currently 20:9.3.0-1.
>
> Thank you
> Sharon.

According to this link
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/1565828/com/bind-libs-9.3.0-1.i386.rpm.html
the missing dependency files should be in the bind-libs package.  You
could be running into the yum bug reported by Axel Thimms on this
list.  You may need to update yum.  Or the packaging was defective and
the files were not included.  To verify that the package is not broken
you can download the package and use rpm to install it.  I would not
try to use the one in the yum cache.  You can, of course, use "yum
clean packages" and try installing bind-libs again.