Static routes file

Thomas E. Dukes edukes at alltel.net
Sat Jan 15 18:21:25 UTC 2005

> Subject: Re: Static routes file
>
> Am Sa, den 15.01.2005 schrieb Thomas E. Dukes um 18:43:
>
> > > And for what reason did you create that anyway? It is not
> necessary
> > > - at least I do not see any difference from letting the
> route being
> > > automatically made from the network scripts based on the
> data in the
> > > ifcfg-eth1 config file. So remote the static routes file.
> > >
> > OK, how do I do that?  Why aren't the scripts doing it?
> I'm not sure
> > I understand.
>
> What do you not understand? I said delete the static-routes
> files. It is neither necessary, nor has a valid syntax. The
> route is set up by simply having a proper ifcfg-eth1 file, like:
>
> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
>
> # Intel Corp.|82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
> DEVICE=eth1
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=10.0.0.1
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> GATEWAY=10.0.0.254
> HWADDR=00:D0:B7:D2:10:8E

I guess if I had initially setup the file, I'd know why it was that way.
The file date was June 2003.  It must have been from RedHat 8.0.  I read the
article at the link http://www.akadia.com/services/redhat_static_routes.html
in the you mentioned earlier and followed the instructions in the last
section:

Remember to use /etc/sysconfig/network for your default gateway

If you only intend to add one route, your default gateway, then you need not
worry about the static routes file or using the route command. Simply add
your default gateway in /etc/sysconfig/network.

Example

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME="hostname.linux.org"
GATEWAY="10.164.234.1"
GATEWAYDEV="eth0"
FORWARD_IPV4="yes"

I also deleted the static-routes file.  My ifcfg-eth1 is:

USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth1
HWADDR=00:03:6d:1e:58:18
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=10.10.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.10.0.0
BROADCAST=10.10.0.255
IPV6INIT=no

Everything seems to work, but I still get the warning I mentioned before
when I go into the network configuration tool.  I guess its just one of
those things......

TIA