FC3 and ThinkPad T41 - current and prior kernels and other problems.

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Jan 15 23:01:18 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Harry Hoffman wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I also run a T41 without any problems. Here are the specs:
>
> T41 => 2373-9FU
> 1.7Ghz CPU
> 60GB 7200RPM drive
> 1.5GB ram

I'm jealous 8^).

> running kernel: 2.6.10-1.737_FC3
>
> The only problem that I've had to date was a mysterious sound issue where all
> of the sound devices in the mixer seemed to be muted.
>
> I'm having some issues with usb-2.0 but from what others write it doesn't
> seem to be specific to my laptop.
>
> I'd be happy to share any configs with you.
>
> HTH,
> Harry

I've had no trouble booting any of the recent kernels on my T41, but I'm
still stuck on 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 because subsequent kernels all freeze on
resume from APM suspend and ACPI suspend consumes battery power at the
same rate as when the machine is powered up.  Haven't tried the USB or
sound features of recent kernels.

Any other TP users noticed these issues?

More on the OP's note below.

> Chris Ruprecht wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I upgraded my T41 with the latest kernel this morning. It crashes during
>> startup when it tries to start X without any error messages.

You might try starting in runlevel 3 and running "system-config-display
--reconfig".  Also, check /var/log/Xorg.log.  Which display do you have?

>> Ctrl-Alt-F1 gets me nowhere. I also have not disabled Ctrl-ALT-Del for
>> these situations but it's not reactling either. The machine can not
>> bepinged' from another machine either.

Not surprising.  Once the machine locks, it won't react to anything.  This
is what I see on APM resume.

>> I'm back on build 724 and most things work, Firefox still crashes from
>> time to time and X still terminates without warning every now and then.
>> So far, I have not been able to establish a pattern.
>>
>> VMWare seems to make the kernel panic on occasion (Panic message doesn't
>> appear on the X11 screen but the caps-lock LED starts flashing,
>> indicating a panic).

Firefox does crash from time to time--that's not T41-specific.  X still
crashes occasionally when running 3D screensavers (also not T41-specific),
but I don't run screensavers on my laptop.  I haven't tried VMware on the
recent kernels either.  On the older kernel, VMware sometimes causes hangs
when shutting the host down, but it hasn't caused any panics for me.
Don't know about more recent kernels.

>> I already have lm_sensors disabled.

lm_sensors shouldn't make any difference on Thinkpads any more, but it
can't hurt to have it off.  On the other hand, turning it off hasn't
prevented any of the problems I described.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu