How to get packages not supplied by Fedora

Kevin Fries kevin at hcico.com
Sun Jan 16 00:49:13 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:

|Hi,
|   Being sort of new to Fedora I'm not clear about how to augment
|their up2date/yum environment with locations that supply RPMs that
|they don't supply. (mp3 playback or mplayer, for instance.)
|
|   Is there any sort of common document on how to make the envionment
|more complete, andhow to make updates a bit easier to do? (I.e. -
|other tools like Synaptic, etc. and places to point them.)

I had lots of trouble with up2date.  It appears that every time I
would connect, it would redirect me to a random mirror.  I never could
figure out if it was my configuration, or just the way it works, but
eventually I would always get hosed when some mirror was out of sync.

Instead, I installed the apt package from dag.wieers.com.  I comes
pre-configured with all that you are looking for.  Since you are new
to Linux, you may also feel most comfortable using the synaptic tool
for software management.

If you decide to go this way:

# rpm -ivh
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/apt/apt-0.5.15cnc6-4.1.fc3.rf.i386.rpm
# apt-get update
# apt-get install synaptic

This should set your repositories to a good mixture.  If you want to
add any other apt repositories, simply create a new file in
/etc/apt/sources.d using any of the files in there as a model.

With this basic setup, I have mplayer, the libdvd stuff, and much of
what you seem to be asking for:

$ apt-cache search dvd
a52dec - Library for decoding ATSC A/52 (aka AC-3) audio streams
a52dec-devel - Development header files and static library for liba52
dvdauthor - Set of tools to author a DVD
dvdbackup - DVD-create (dvdbackup)
gsubedit - Tool for editing and converting DivX ;-) subtitles
klvemkdvd - Gui for lvemkdvd
libdvdcss - Portable abstraction library for DVD decryption
libdvdcss-devel - Development files from the libdvdcss DVD decryption
library
libdvdnav - DVD menu navigation library
libdvdnav-devel - Development files for the libdvdnav DVD menu
navigation library
libdvdplay - Library designed for DVD navigation
libdvdplay-devel - Development files from the libdvdplay DVD
navigation library
libdvdread - Library for reading DVD video disks
libdvdread-devel - Development files from the libdvdread library
libpostproc - Video postprocessing library from MPlayer
lxdvdrip - DVD backup tool
mplayer - MPlayer, the Movie Player for Linux
mplayer-fonts - Font files for MPlayer, the Movie Player for Linux
ogle - DVD player that supports DVD menus
ogle_gui - Graphical user interface for the ogle DVD player
perl-Video-DVDRip - Graphical DVD ripping tool based on transcode
rpcmgr - DVD RPC (Region Playback Control) tool
streamdvd - Tool to backup DVDs
subtitleripper - DVD subtitle ripper
transcode - Linux video stream processing utility
videolan-client - The VideoLAN client, also a very good standalone
video player
videolan-client-devel - Header files and static library from the
Videolan Client
xine - Free multimedia player
xine-lib - Core library of the xine multimedia player
xine-lib-devel - Development files for the xine library
jigdo - Tool for distributing large files
klvemkdvd-debuginfo - Debug information for package klvemkdvd
gstreamer-plugins-extra-dvd - DVD plugins for GStreamer
cdrecord - A command line CD/DVD recording program.
dvd+rw-tools - Toolchain to master DVD+RW/+R media
gnome-volume-manager - The GNOME Volume Manager
gstreamer-plugins - GStreamer Streaming-media framework plugins
k3b - CD/DVD burning application for KDE
radvd - A Router Advertisement daemon

Kevin Fries