fstab-sync

Colleen Beamer colleen.beamer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 15:39:43 UTC 2005

Hello All,

I'm a creature of habit - I'm used to mounting and unmounting devices
using "Disk Management".  I got a shock a few days ago when I
installed FC3 and wanted to mount my zip drive.  When I clicked on
Disk Management, I was told that "there were no devices that I was
allowed to mount", or something to that effect.

At this point, I thought I was going to edit fstab and despite the
comment "This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for
details", I did edit the fstab file, only to find that the changes
didn't "stick".  So, I read the man page for fstab-sync, but this
wasn't any help.  The only fstab-sync file that I could find on my
system was:

/etc/hal/device.d/50-fstab-sync.hal, which is a symlink to
/usr/sbin/fstab-sync

So what fstab-sync file am I supposed to be editing or am I supposed
to create one.  Whether I edit a file or create one, what is the
format of the line that I am supposed to enter to allow mounting of my
floppy, my zip and my CD-RW drive when I click on the "Disk
Management" menu choice?

Sure, I can use the KDE disk mounting utility, KwikDisk, but like I
said, I'm a creature of habit and I would like to know how to be able
to set up disk mounting/unmounting using the Disk Management utility.

Regards,

Colleen