networking between fedora and macos

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jan 16 17:21:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 09:34, Trevor Smith wrote:
> On 16-Jan-05, at 1:58 AM, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > To just transfer files the easiest way is to use scp.  scp uses ssh so
> > it is secure to use particularly over wireless.
>
> Actually, I should have been more explicit in my first email. Sorry.
>
> I was wondering about "real" networking, not just Internet type file
> transfer. I'd like to be able to drag and drop files between computers
> and, ideally, I'd like programs running on the Mac to be able to see
> directories on the Linux laptop so things like Mac OS's Mail "import"
> tool can simply read the mbox files on my old laptop to import them
> into my new one.
>
> I wonder if it's just possible to mount my Fedora drive under Mac OS...

Ah!  Then you probably want to look at nfs.  I believe Mac's now use a
BSD type operating system so nfs should be available.  With nfs you can
mount linux file systems (or potions of them) on your Mac system and
access them as if they are local.  Have not done this myself but I think
there are ways to tunnel nfs over ssh to securely encrypt that traffic.
Of course at this point nfs may have some encryption built in but I am
not sure about that.

> > Hopefully you have wep enabled.  Even if you do have wep enabled I
> > recommend you use ssh and scp for access between the systems.
>
> I do have wep enabled, mostly to keep random snoopers out. I also have
> a restricted list of mac addresses entered in the router so presumably
> no one but me can access it anyway.

That is good.  But restricting the MAC addresses only slows someone
down.  They can snoop the network and then clone one of your permitted
MAC addresses to gain further access to your LAN.  The real danger is
someone that cracks your wep encryption and then just watches packets
looking for clear text passwords being passed around.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Comparing information and knowledge is like asking whether the fatness of a
pig is more or less green than the designated hitter rule."
-- David Guaspari