networking between fedora and macos

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jan 17 00:15:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 16:06, Trevor Smith wrote:
> On 16-Jan-05, at 1:08 PM, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
> > Another measure the OP should implement is to lock the MAC address of
> > his laptops on the AP.  Again this is not a perfect form of security
> > but
> > is makes it just a little harder for the casual hacker to get deeper
> > into the OPs wireless network.
>
> As the OP, I am happy to report that I do have wep set up (have for
> some time) and I do have the router set to only accept my two laptops'
> mac addresses. I'm not really that concerned since I doubt anyone wants
> to get into my network -- there is typically no file sharing going on,
> just tcp/ip, and no servers run locally so they'd only be stealing
> Internet connectivity, not access to my local machines, even if they
> did break in. And they're more or less welcome to that if they go to
> that trouble. Not that it would be *that* much trouble for anyone with
> the right tools and knowledge, I gather from my intro course to
> networking (given that wep is pretty trivial to crack). But still...

Always good to understand that about wireless.  A friend of mine told
has a neighbor with a wide open access point.  He has warned the
neighbor about it but they have not taken any measures at all.  He
occasionally "borrows" bandwidth when his own connection is saturated.

As long as you are aware of just how easy it is and understand possible
problems that could arise (both technical and legal), and it sounds like
you do.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Humor in the Court:
Q: Could you see him from where you were standing?