Installing Windows after Fedora core 2

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 17 00:44:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 18:16 +0100, mozart_uno wrote:
> I have installed Fedora core2, and is working fine since October
> 2004, however now I want to install  windows also in the same box.
>  I found in most of the recomendations that if you want to have a
>  dual system you have to install first windows, but my questions
> is how to install windows and partition the hd after Fedora 2,
> without re-installing both systems.
> I hope somebody can help with this question.

I did this recently and it works well.
The one caveat I encountered was that I initially wanted to install
windows into a vfat partition I created that was in the extended
partition, and windows could not see it. (Single IDE disk, and plenty of
room to install for dual boot.)  I had to reorganize the partitions so
windows was in one of the primary partitions and then it worked like a
charm YMMV.  After you install windows you will need to reinstall grub
on the MBR and create a boot stanza for windows in your grub.conf file
as well.

The recommendations are for a neat clean install, not to imply that it
is impossible to do it differently.