Can't get Optra S printer recognized or working (Resolved)

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Mon Jan 17 02:29:34 UTC 2005

After posting this I searched the list for keyword "printer" and found a
couple other individuals having problems with printers with the
2.6.10-1.741 kernel.

So... I rebooted with the 2.6.9-1.681 kernel.  Kudzu then detected the
printer ! (There was nothing wrong with the printer cable at all.)

I then ran printer-gui.  When I added a new queue, printer gui found the
Optra S printer connected on lp0.  However, it also gave me the
following:

<paste begins>
No match for parallel port device:
  mfr "Lexmark International"
  model "Lexmark Optra S 1855"
  desc "Lexmark Optra S 1855"
  cmdset "PCL 6 Emulation, PostScript Level 2 Emulation, NPAP, PJL"
Please report this message in Bugzilla:
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Choose 'foomatic' as the component.
<paste ends>

I continued on with the printer setup.  I tried several different
printer drivers (Lexmark Optra S 1855, 1250, PCL 6 and Postscript) and
none of them would output anything to the printer.

My synopsis is this:

a) kernel 2.6.10-1.741 has broken printer detection

b) something in the print utilities is broken such that printer-gui does
not select a print driver on its own

c) something in the print utilities is broken such that one cannot
manually select a print driver and install it using print-gui

Furthermore, if one has previously installed a printer (ie while running
a 2.6.9 kernel) printing will work OK with the 2.6.10 kernels.  It seems
to be the detection of the printer by the 2.6.10 that messes things up.

I'm very disappointed and frustrated that this wasn't better tested
before being released to general users.  I wasted several hours of my
day fighting with this problem.

I'll be submitting this as a bug to bugzilla.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.