Authentication problem in sieve in FC3

Uno Engborg uno at webworks.se
Mon Jan 17 04:10:39 UTC 2005

I'm trying to get sieve working on FC3.

+ imapd works fine.

+ I can log in with sieveshell to add remove, list,... filters.

-  But whenever a mail arrives that should trigger a filter I get an
authentication error from sieve  in /var/log/messages and the mail
ends up in the inbox.

The log message looks like this:
Jan 16 16:23:49 aslan imap(pam_unix)[28296]: authentication failure;
logname=root uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=  user=uno

The process mentioned 28296 is saslauthd

 From reading the init.d scripts the saslauthd seam to get started like
this:
saslauthd -a pam  /var/run/saslauthd

saslauthd seam to work for other services, and among them cyrus imapd.
If I connect with an impa client  the output from
saslauthd -a pam  /var/run/saslauthd -d :

saslauthd[28295] :do_auth         : auth success: [user=uno]
[service=sieve] [realm=] [mech=pam]
saslauthd[28295] :do_request      : response: OK

However, when sieve is triggered by the reception of a mail to be
filtered, I get no output what so ever from saslauthd when running in
debug mode. Just the message in /var/log/messages mentioned above.

By the way pam is backed by ldap over TLS, and that seam to work. I  can
log in, I can change passwords.

The user root, and cyrus exists , and they even have mailboxes.

Any suggestions how to debug this or  what could be wrong?

Regards
Uno Engborg