Need a complete config walkthrough for Samba/Winbind on RH or Fedora - samba 3

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jan 17 09:40:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 01:40, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> [...]
----
of course Windows installs most everything and turns most of it on by
default at startup.

I can install and configure samba on Linux as easily as I can install
Windows 2000 server UNTIL I get to ldap. That takes me longer on Linux.
I definitely prefer BIND and DHCP server on Linux to Windows. Of course,
speed of install/configure is just one of the considerations. There is
stability, lifetime cost of ownership, speed, etc. I am certain that a
Samba server outperforms Windows 2000 server.

A single provider, single set of tools concept of Windows is a distinct
advantage. On Linux - I would suggest webmin <http://www.webmin.com>

As for a 'complete config walkthrough' for Samba/Winbind - I think
you'll find that at samba.org - Samba by Example
<http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/>

For someone with a good working knowledge of Windows networking - domain
setup - accounts, profiles, policies - it's pretty easy.

Emacs vs. Regedit.exe - I'll take emacs every time. But hey, that's just
me. I'm sure that some, far more knowledgable than me, would go the
other way.

Lastly, knowledge is an investment. Not spending the time to gain
knowledge is less than what I expect of myself and not only sells myself
short, but also denies my clients of other, perhaps better
possibilities.

Craig