dell and sound

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 13:08:45 UTC 2005

Brian West wrote:
> I have a dell demention 8300 with a soundblaster live 5.1 sound card.
> the sound card is detected but does not work lspci and the sound card
> detector see the card but alsa appears not to i get a sound server error
> when i login.

Can you do an
lspci -n | grep 1102:0006

If you get an output, then you have one of the Dell variety of Sound
Blasters. These are not the same as you buy elsewhere, and I do not
believe that they have an Open Source driver.

See http://www.alsa-project.org/black.html and
http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html for details.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | In poker you have to show your hand eventually if
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | called. So far SCO have with great reluctance shown