Nervious wannabe new user asks for advice.

thebearwitchproject thebearwitchproject at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 13:18:34 UTC 2005

 --- Tony Dietrich <td at transoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sunday 16 Jan 2005 16:20, RoboticGolem wrote:

> Check the documentation for your modem ... most ADSL
> modems run a stripped
> down version of a web-browser that you can connect
> to when the modem is
> plugged into the host machine.  This interface
> allows you to setup the modem
> with the neccessary setting to connect to your ISP.
> The real problem after
> that is finding out the right settings!
> However, you mention that you have a Windows system
> still .. so cheat!
> The modem should retain the connection settings even
> after a power-off, so
> connect it to your Windows machine, run the disk
> your ISP supplied, then plug
> the modem into your Linux machine.
> Linux *should* see the modem.  Demon Internet in the
> UK supply a similar
> modem, and their tech dept. *claim* that it is
> compatible with Linux,
> although I needed a multi-port ethernet modem, so
> chose the self-install
> route.
> --
> Tony Dietrich

Unfortunately no documentation came with my modem. I
got it with AOL, when I went to their broadband
service, I stayed for a year and migrated to Central
Point. The drivers running it in Windows came from BTs
own website.

I am not sure what you mean by connection settings, if
you could clarify I would be grateful. I don't forward
anyhing to the modem if that is what you mean. I
double click on the modems icon (two green arrows) and
a window opens with options one of them being connect.
I then type in user name and password and then it
connects.

Central Point is a small independant UK ISP and does
not give you all the doo-hickies with ISPs like AOL
and BT. It is basically a broadband connection service
nothing more, no web space, e-mail etc.

I will try Demons' website and see if they do and if
they have drivers for download.

Jay