Saving my panels before upgrade

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 13:41:05 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian suggested:
> If you have a /home partition that does not get overwritten the
> configuration files for your desktop should not get changed.  I have
> done this a couple times.  Twice I did a restore from a tar file of my
> home directory, and another time I did a reinstall with /home as a
> separate partition.  In all 3 cases the desktop stayed as I had it
> customized.

Philippe replied:
> Unfortunately, I dont have yet a /home partition. Well, anyway, I can do
> a fresh instal, and after override /home/me with my backup. I am just
> afraid of some gconf difference between FC2 and FC3. But I can give it a
> try.

Basically, Gnome neither knows nor cares about partitions, nor if the
files it sees stayed on the disk over an upgrade or were restored from a
backup. [1]

Upgrade is "supported" in as much as it's expected to work. So gconf is
supposed to be able to migrate settings to the new version. Exactly how
the old settings got there is not important, as long as they're
self-consistent.

So yes, that should work.

James (who zapped his old settings anyway because he wanted to see what
the new desktop was like).

[1] This is not necessarily true. But it's true enough for this
discussion.

--
E-mail address: james | Beneath this stone lies Murphy,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | They buried him today,