Which 'bind' does Network Manager want?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Jan 17 16:35:46 UTC 2005

Burnie wrote:
> Until last Tuesday, my little u2date icon was a friendly blue checkmark.
> Then yesterday it went red, and for the first time since I installed FC3
> I was unable to clear it. I get the message:
>
> NetworkManager 0.3.3-1 has created an "unresolvable chain of dependencies"
>
> NetworkManager 0.3.3-1.cvs20050112.1.fc requires bind
> NetworkManager 0.3.3-1.cvs20050112.1.fc requires caching-nameserver
>
> I'm not sure why this is or what I should do about it. "which bind" and
> "which caching-nameserver" show no executables.
>
> In case it matters, I currently have NetworkManager 3.1-3 installed.

I don't see why NetworkManager would require you to install or run DNS
server (other than to bloat your machine further).  Oh well.

If you run "yum update", it will be able to resolve that "unresolvable
chain of dependencies".  The other solution, which I did on my laptop,
is to simply remove NetworkManager package, if you are not using it.