Adfs Filesystem?? What's That [Re: DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance]

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Jan 17 16:43:40 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic at pbl.ca> said:
> Advfs is Digital's Advanced File System.  It is fundamentally different
> type of file system than UFS.  Originally, it saw light of the day with
> OSF/1 (renamed to Digital UNIX, and than (insert current company name)
> Tru64 UNIX).  You'd usually see it on Alpha boxes.  Apart from being
> very fast file system, it also included LVM, and could be used as file
> system for clusters (don't remember anymore, but I don't think ufs was
> supported fs type for Alpha clusters).

UFS is only supported in read-only mode in a TruCluster setup, while
AdvFS is fully cluster-aware and supports full POSIX semantics in a
cluster environment (well, except for the times is doesn't :-) ).  It
doesn't include full LVM functionality (like it can't do RAID except for
striping, which is done at the file level instead of the block level),
but it does integrate many of the useful parts.  You can do snapshots at
the filesystem level instead of the block level (which means you don't
have to leave disk space unallocated to do snapshots).  AdvFS can also
have multiple filesets in a single file domain, all sharing space
(optionally with quotas on each fileset).

AdvFS really rocks; I will miss it (and TruCluster) when the Alpha
disappears.  Thanks HPAQ! :-(

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>