up2date broke kdm

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 17 20:24:00 UTC 2005

Felix Miata wrote:

> Thanks! Turns out I didn't. I expected gdm not to be a separate package,
> and/or to be automatically installed when selecting Gnome for X during
> initial installation. Now with /etc/sysconfig/desktop as above, init 5
> starts gdm, which does allow root login.

I will point out from a security point of view, do not log into your
system as root, except for specific purposes and for very short time
periods.  I use the login as an ordinary user, open a terminal session,
and then su - or sudo to get to a root session.  As far as KDM not
allowing root logins, this may be for security reasons as stated above.

--
James McKenzie