Linksys WMP11 with Fedora Core 2

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 17 20:51:00 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> At one time Ornicoco was the way to go.   I don't know about today.
>

> 'b' cards based on Orinoco chipset work fine.  I've tested two recently
> with 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 kernels (one was original Lucent Tech card, the
> other was from some company that doesn't seem to exist anymore, forgot
> the name).
>
>> It is not Linksys that is to blame, but Realtek.  I found the drivers
>> on a different site.  I think that I will search for them again and
>> see if I can lsmod -f them.  Should be interesting.  Of course, this
>> is after I check out the 2.6.10 series for FC3.
>

> I'm not blaming anybody.  If Linksys had two products, one with Linux
> driver, one without, buying a card from Linksys would still be an option.
>
> As I see it, there's no point in buying a card that is not supported by
> Linux all the way if I intend to use it on Linux.  If I had a card from
> before, than yeah, I'd use those solutions that allow me to use Windows
> driver on Linux.  But I'm buying a new card for use in Linux box, so why
> not save myself some time and trouble and simply buy something that has
> a driver included in stock Linux kernel (as downloaded from kernel.org)?

I agree.  However, if this were held, we would have NO drivers for
Linux.  What I want to try is to force the 2.4 drivers onto a 2.6
system.  I had to do that with my LinModem because of the GPL warning
message under RH 9.  This just might force RealTek to create 2.6 drivers
when they realize that they need (not just want) to.

--
James McKenzie