Newbie Help Needed....

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 00:23:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:16:18 +0000, David Amos
<dave at marvinthemartian.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Newbie here, have finally taken the plunge into Linux properly with
> Fedora (which I have installed, and am chuffed to say email is being
> sent from...) However I am having a few teething problems that are
> driving me up the wall, and hope someone can answer, or at least guide
> me in the right direction...
 find...

> I am currently wondering if it may be easier to install Fedora clean,
> and not download anything but the kernel update, and Wireless driver
> first to test...
>
> Any advice/suggestions/ideas...?
>
> Regards
>
> Dave
>
> aka
>
> MarvinTheMartian
>

> 1: I have a Sony Vaio laptop, and Linux runs fine ecexpt the Wireless,
> for which I have found the RPM's on sourceforge (ipw2200....) RPM's
> install but seem to be missing libraries, and have downloaded all
> relevent rpm's etc as I can

might be eaiser if you first update to the latest kernel  (.741)  then
use the rpms from www.atrpms.net  to install the ipw2200 driver ,
kernel module, and  firmware.

> 2: I installed Fedora using the developer/work station setup, but cannot
> for the life of me get MySQL Query Browser runnning once again
> dependancies, but don't know where to look which package is required to
> allow me to install this.

as for dependencies
go to  http://apt.freshrpms.net/   down load apt for fc3

in the terminal ,  su to root

type apt-get update

after it is done updating,    then try to install MYSQL to install

by doing apt-get install Yourpackage you want

When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle.
It makes the neighbor's dog run to the end of his chain and gag himself.