Why do I need mDNSResponder/howl?

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 00:49:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:45:01 -0600, Randy <toucan at tropicalrain.us> wrote:
> The broadcast storm was coming from my hardware firewall/router, a
> D-Link box.  Apparently it didn't like mDNSResponder.  So technically it
> wasn't Fedora... but then again, it was.  Because I didn't have the
> problem before the service I didn't need was automatically installed and
> turned on.  :-)
>
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > Randy wrote:
> >
> >> It took me two days to figure out why my firewall began broadcasting
> >> packets so fast that the network came to a halt, EVERY time I
> >> rebooted my new linux server.  mDNSResponder was the problem.  My
> >> network was ALREADY set up with DNS, DHCP, etc.  Everything was
> >> ALREADY automatic.  In fact, the new fedora box WAS the DHCP and DNS
> >> server.  It had a fixed IP.  Why was it running mDNSResponder?  For
> >> me, this wasn't "plug & play".  It was "What the @^%#@! is going on
> >> with the router!  It can't be the Fedora server, because Fedora
> >> distributions have never caused problems!"
> >

> > Strange; I have a Fedora box running DHCP, DNS etc. and didn't see a
> > broadcast storm (though I did turn off mDNSResponder soon after
> > installation as an unneeded service). I'd have though these things
> > would be designed to co-exist peacefully with the ubiqitous DHCP etc.
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> --

if this is the case with mDNSResponder & howl  can they both be
removed from the system?   if so, how ?  i just assume not to have
anything on my notebook that i'm NOT going to ever need or use.

When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle.
It makes the neighbor's dog run to the end of his chain and gag himself.