Is smartd compatible with SATA?

Mariano Lopez Reta mlreta at datafull.com
Tue Jan 18 00:56:21 UTC 2005

Patrick Boutilier wrote:

> Mariano Lopez Reta wrote:
>
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> Does anybody know if smartd is compatible with SATA? I'm asking
>> because smartd is failing to start at boot.
>>

> Check /var/log/messages

Aha! So, here's what messages says:

Jan 17 20:11:33 localhost smartd[3818]: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks
accessed via libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When
libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata'
device type will be added to smartmontools.
Jan 17 20:11:33 localhost smartd[3818]: Unable to register SCSI device
/dev/sda at line 1 of file /etc/smartd.conf
Jan 17 20:11:33 localhost smartd[3818]: Unable to register device
/dev/sda (no Directive -d removable). Exiting.
Jan 17 20:11:33 localhost smartd: smartd startup failed

Am I correct in my understanding that SATA is not supported, then?

Thx.

Mariano