cat5e laptop-to-laptop?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jan 18 02:47:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 20:57, Trevor Smith wrote:
> Can I take two computers (laptops both) and plug them together directly
> from one nic to another with a "standard" ethernet cable? Or do I need
> a crossover cable or something to do that? And if I have the correct
> cable, will the two machines do some sort of peer-to-peer networking
> more or less automagically or will it be difficult to set up? One runs
> FC2, the other Mac OS X 10.3.7.

To do what you are asking you will need to have a cross over cable.  As
to the machines automagically configuring themselves I wonder if this
might not be a case where zero conf would work?

Personally I have yet to see zero conf be useful for anything other than
introducing junk entries in the routing table.

If zero conf does not work then you will need to manually configure the
IP address and subnet mask on each system.  That is fairly easy.  You
may also want to populate the /etc/hosts file with the IP address you
used for the other system.

Once that is done and you can ping the other system you should be able
to run any kind of file transfer or terminal program you like.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Air Force Inertia Axiom:
	Consistency is always easier to defend than correctness.