cat5e laptop-to-laptop?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 18 02:54:22 UTC 2005

Trevor Smith wrote:
> Can I take two computers (laptops both) and plug them together directly
> from one nic to another with a "standard" ethernet cable? Or do I need a
> crossover cable or something to do that? And if I have the correct
> cable, will the two machines do some sort of peer-to-peer networking
> more or less automagically or will it be difficult to set up? One runs
> FC2, the other Mac OS X 10.3.7.

You will need a crossover cable or a small four to eight port hub with a
cable from one Linux laptop to the hub and another cable from the Mac to
the hub.  You will need to configure networking on both the Linux box
(system-network-config or System Preferences -> Network) for the
Ethernet card to exist on a private network for the connection to the
hub.  You will also need to setup the Mac for Network connection.
When I say a private network, you will need to use private IP space for
the network.  Most small networks are setup on like the following:

Computer #1 (most likely your Linux laptop), IP address, 198.168.1.1,
subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (or 198.168.1.1/24) with a gateway address of
198.168.1.1.  Computer #2 (your Mac) would be setup with an IP address
of 198.168.1.2, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 with a gateway address of
198.168.1.1  (I may have the first octet of the IP address incorrect,
but you should have a general idea of what needs to happen.)

Good luck with your new network.

James McKenzie