Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Jan 18 06:54:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 01:38:54AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I assume there was supposed to be some sarcasm indicated there.  I
> wasn't trying to be sarcastic, but dead serious in my objections to
> DD, give me fdisk any day, anytime.  It does exactly what you tell

When you keep saying phrases like "drain bamaged", it's hard to take you
completely seriously. Furthermore, you haven't really offered any good
alternative. Fdisk covers only a small portion of what disk druid does, and
some of your objections don't even appear to be related to that part.

There *are* some legitimate interface problems, and you have some legitimate
points -- but you then undermine them with this nonconstructive name calling
and "it's gotta go" approach.

> it.  Trying to dumb the install down to the winderz user level may be
> an admirable project, but in this regard its a miserable failure.

As someone who has to help a lot of inexperienced users, it's a godsend.

It could definitely be better, for both new users and experienced users who
want finer control. But these are merely small incremental tweaks.

A larger project could be to detach the program from anaconda, so it could
be run as a standalone program. But the basic approach could still be the
same in that case.