How to see number of pci-slots

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 18 08:20:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:49:24PM +0100, Alexander Apprich wrote:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:

> >>   root at elmstreet / # dmidecode | grep PCI | wc -l
> >>   7
> Well, Roger asked for number of PCI-Slots...

I am not sure that there is a way to do exactly what
I think the OP is asking.

In some MB the difference between 1, 2, 3 and 4 PCI slots
is simply the presence of a connector.  i.e. The chip set
can support more than are wired on the PWB.

It is possible to count the bridge2pci interfaces but
empty pci slots cannot be seen as far as I know (jtag?).

   "Dmidecode reports information about your system's hardware as
   described in your system BIOS according to the SMBIOS/DMI standard
   (see a sample output). This information typically includes system
   manufacturer, model name, serial number, BIOS version, asset tag as
   well as a lot of other details of varying level of interest and
   reliability depending on the manufacturer. This will often include
   usage status for the CPU sockets, expansion slots (e.g. AGP, PCI,
   ISA) and memory module slots, and the list of I/O ports
   (e.g. serial, parallel, USB)."

Since dmidecode is getting info from the BIOS it is possible for the
vendor to know what the build list for the MB is and return the right
info, but as far as I know software cannot "see" empty slots.

Note also that many MBs have multiple PCI busses.  Some are dedicated
for resources on the MB.  One or more will have connectors to plug
stuff into.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.