suid cdrecord and 2.6.9/2.6.10

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 18 08:30:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:15:49PM -0200, Juliano Ravasi Ferraz wrote:

> Cdrecord stopped working with kernel 2.6.9 if set to suid... seems that
> the new kernels don't allow suid programs to open scsi devices, and
> Harald's suggestion (comment #1) doesn't fit, since I really need a
> higher scheduled cdrecord to avoid getting buffer underruns (explained
> in comment #3).

For the short term try running it with sudo and not setting it SUID.

Sudo gives you some control over who can run it.  SUID opens it wide.

It is possible (under properties for the icon) in many cases to add
sudo to the command for the point and click iconic folks out there.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.