fedora-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 255

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 13:18:46 UTC 2005

Wscurtis5 at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 1/17/2005 10:45:31 PM Central Standard Time,
> fedora-list-request at redhat.com writes:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:08:08 -0800
> From: Dave <fedora-user at nospam.dnsalias.org>
> Subject: Re: FC3 Still Hates Me: No Sound
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> The latest kernel update seems to have had SOME effect.  Sound now works ...
> sort of. If I turn the mixer volume up to 100%, and crank up the physical
> volume control on my speakers, and everybody in the house shuts up, I can
> hear some whisper of sound coming out of the speakers.
>
> OK, that last is an exaggeration. I haven't gagged my family, but the sound
> IS
> coming out extremely low.
> you can also try (#1 from main menu, choose system settings>sound card
<snip>

Mr / Mrs /Miss Curtis,

Could I humbly ask you to rethink the way that you quote e-mails? It
would make life easier for us.

To begin with, "Subject: Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 255" is
not exactly descriptive. Your e-mail won't be displayed near anyone
else's e-mails on the same subject, because you changed the subject line
and because quoting plain-text digests doesn't preserve the references
(e-mail programs can use these to connect related e-mails).

This means that unless Dave reads the *entire* list, he won't spot your
e-mail. And if he scans the subject lines, he won't know he will get
anything out of your message.

You may find switching to MIME-format digests easier: you will be able
to reply to individual e-mails, and the references and subject will be
preserved.  You can do this by logging into the mailing list
administration site: the address is in the standard list signature at
the bottom of each e-mail.

In the second place, it's not at all obvious what you're quoting and
what is you saying something new. Changes in font or text colour don't
travel well through mailing lists, and a lot of people here run mail
clients that don't show them anyway (HTML mail is a security hazard).

The standard is to put something in front of each line you quote, like I
did with your quote. ("> ", like I used, is most standard). I realise
that you may be limited by your e-mail program here: it looks like
you're still on the Windows AOL client.

Welcome to the list, and I hope that you enjoy your adventures with
Fedora.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Mike Andrews' Corollary to Murphy's Law:
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | In any sufficiently large collection of texts, every