OT: computer arithmetic question on integer division

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Tue Jan 18 14:23:11 UTC 2005

Globe Trotter wrote:

>HI,
>
>Does anyone know how the computer *actually* does integer
>division? I understand that with powers of 2, it just does bit
>shifting, but what about other powers, do you know?
>
>(for example, 5/2 = 101/10 so shift the 101 by 1 and get 10, but how
>does 5/3 work, lets say?)
>
>Thanks and best wishes!

    I feel sorry for anyone who isn't old enough to remember the noise
the old Marchant electro-mechanical calculators made while dividing (in
decimal).  Anyone who spent any time using (or watching) one of them can
have no trouble understanding how multiplication and division work!
    Cheers,
Gordon Keehn