Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Jan 18 14:40:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 02:04:43AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >How is it supposed to psychically know this? Fdisk certainly
> > wouldn't have any such magic powers.
> Who said it did?  What I'm saying is that it totally ignored the
> existing fdisk setup partitions and carved out its own from whole
> cloth.

Did you get an error dialog about the partition table? If so, this is the
bug with parted and the 2.6 kernel. Not a disk druid design flaw.

> There is, fdisk. Wworks just fine and doesn't give any surprises.
> What more can one ask for in a tool designed to do a job?

Something that does the entire rest of the job that disk druid does?

> Ok, I'll compromise, on the next go-round (read that as FC4) that the
> man pages can be made readable, from the installers only screen since
> a ctl+_alt+F2 only gets you a blank screen at that point in the
> install.  We *know* how to make fdisk work, and it makes perfect

The shell should be running by that point unless there is a greater problem
with the installer. Not a blank screen.