Fedora installer - RAM detection

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 17:13:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:43:45 -0500, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:33:35PM -0800, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> > It is sort of sad in a nostalgic way that 32MB is not enough.
> > My memory escapes me but I believe that this is more than Unix
> > was invented on.
>
> Oh my yes. The first UNIX was written on a PDP-7, and, it had only a few *K*
> of memory.
>
> --

Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson ATT Labs -- god bless them both.  They
also did the C programming language.  I forgot what limitation they
wrote Unix to get around.

Bill Joy with the contribution to the tcp/ip stack and the vi editor
as well as BSD unix should not be forgotten as well.

Unix is the history of an Operating System developed by almost organic
natural means instead of sprouting whole from the head of one company
or hierachy.

Its a very interesting history if one has the patience to hunt it out.

Sorry completely OT.