MS Windows Toaster

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Jan 18 17:44:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 11:29, Kevin Fries wrote:

> As for the Terminal Server versions of Windows, that too is mighty
> costly!  I will never get more than 2-3 windows sessions going at once
> on this machine just because of the resource requirements of this
> program (3.06GHz processor is brought to its knees by it).  So Terminal
> Server Edition will suffer from the same issues as GSX does.  I can not
> get enough critical mass on one server to overcome its high cost.

Win2k server allows 2 'administrative' connections without adding
anything - in addition to the console session.  XP pro will allow it's
desktop to be used via terminal services without adding anything
(you don't get extra sessions but it may be more efficient than
vnc).

> My "lets see if this works" idea was to use VMWare Workstation 4 to see
> if I can run the session automatically without a desktop, then export it
> out with VNC.  I don't think this is going to work unless I have an
> interactive desktop.  This is exactly what I was trying to avoid... I
> need those resources elsewhere.

Do it the other way around: start vncserver, connect to that session
with vnc, then start VMWare.  Give each of the windows sessions its
own static IP address and let each run it's own instance of vnc server.
Then from a vnc client you can connect to either windows screen or
the controlling VMWare session without having any of it show on
the local console.  Or, if you use win2k server or XP pro, you can
connect via rdesktop or windows terminal service.  The disconnected
'outer' vncserver session will consume some RAM but not much CPU.

> Like I said originally, I am not sure what I need even exists, I was
> just hoping that I missed something on Google.

As far as I know the workstation VMWare server always has to be started
in an X session, but it should be happy with one provided by vncserver.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com