Problem with dual head on Intel 845G, NVidia PCI, FC3

Tony Howard tahoward at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 18 20:26:14 UTC 2005

I'm trying to get Xorg 6.8.1 working with 2 video cards - the builtin graphics,
using the i810 driver, and a pci Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 using the
Nvidia 6629 driver.  When I boot the machine, the BIOS has an option to
select whether the primary graphics should be AGP or PCI.  When I set it
to AGP, I can start X on the Intel graphics, but when I try the Nvidia,
the X server crashes.  When I set the primary graphics device to PCI, X
will start on the Nvidia card, but I get these errors when I try to
start it on the Intel:

(EE) I810(0): Cannot read V_BIOS
(EE) I810(0): VBE initialization failed.

I've tried running both X servers separately, and together - same
results.  I've also tried the NoInt10 option for the i810 driver, but it
still won't start.  I think X is always querying the BIOS for
information about the video card, and the BIOS returns info for whatever
card is set as the primary, regardless of which one X is set to use.
Here are the config files I'm using:

X only on i810:
http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/xorg.conf.intel
X only on nvidia:
http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/xorg.conf.nvidia.monitor
X on both:
http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/xorg.conf.multihead

Here are the logs from when I try to start the X server:
X on i810, bios set to AGP, works:
http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.i810oni810b
X on i810, bios set to PCI, X won't start:
http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.i810onnvb
X on nvidia, bios set to AGP, X crashes:
http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.nvoni810b
X on nvidia, bios set to PCI, works:
http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.nvonnvb

I also tried the vesa driver, but it says that it can't find a device
matching the device id I put in the config file.

Is there a fix for this?  Perhaps a way to tell X to probe the card
directly, rather than going through the bios?  I'd even be willing to
hardcode the probed values if somebody pointed me in the right
direction.  By the way, I've tried this on kernels 2.6.9 and 2.6.10, same results.

Tony