cheap low-profile pci ethernet adapters

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 21:10:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:34:42 +0000, James Wilkinson
<james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Matt Morgan wrote:
> > http://www.startech.com/ProductSpecs/ST100SLP.htm
>
> Downloading the driver disc comes up with a lot of mentions of RTL8139
> (in filenames, etc).

Thanks! I downloaded that zip file but I didn't know what to look for.

> Which is a pretty standard, cheap, working Ethernet chip: I've got
> several and have had no problems. There have been good drivers in the
> kernel since at least 2.2 days.

Cool.

Thomas had written:
> And heck, for $10 it's preactically disposable - if it
> doesn't work send it back or just toss it in the trash.

Right, but shipping is around $10 too, and I lose that even with a
money-back guarantee. But thanks to both of you for your advice--I
bought one and I'll see what happens.