Network Login discuss

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 18 21:11:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 12:37:16PM -0500, fly over wrote:

>    I have assigned a tough task on FC 3 platform. the prob
>    definition is to setup a Network Login n FC 3 using NIS , DNS and
>    NFS. I have 3 p cs small network all running FC 3. If i create
>    the user on a 1 pc and then create some files on the same pc,
>    then on other system i should have ability to login and all the
>    created file should be available there.

Break this into three tasks.
      authentication (use NIS or perhaps LDAP)
            authentication and NIS is a security tangle
	    do your homework. Make sure your firewall
	    does the right thing or hackers can see stuff
	    you do not want seen.

      host name to IP address mapping (DNS, or NIS)
	    it is possible to have NIS and DNS both
	    provide host name/ IPaddress mapping
	    make sure that: files, DNS, NIS all agree.

      file system and data sharing (use NFS).
            this may involve a data dir, applicatin dir and/or user
            home dirs.  Make sure that only hosts you trust can mount
            these resources.  UID control and other securtity concerns
            can matter.

Gark what is this html thing doing to the community.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.