Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

David Liguori liguorid at albany.edu
Tue Jan 18 22:09:40 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Disk Druid is a dreadful program.
> Why has the choice of fdisk disappeared?
> I read that one could bring up bash (and so run fdisk)
> by Alt-F2 when asked to choose
> between automatic partitioning and Disk Druid (what a choice!)
> but that did not work for me.
>
> I wanted to re-organise my partitions
> while keeping hda1 which has Windows-XP on it.
> I couldn't see any way to do this with Disk Druid,
> so I had to start Knoppix, and run fdisk under that.
>
> It seems rather bad to me that one has to run another distribution
> in order to install Fedora.
>
> Maybe I am missing something?

Actually, some of the rants against Disk Druid in this thread are a little over the top.  I do find DD by itself to be of little use, except in the most generic of installations.  In particular, DD seems perfectly happy to create primary partitions until there are no more allowed, with no way I am aware of to create extended or logical partitions.  All I would request is that the option to use fdisk be returned to the installation proper, as in RHL distros of the past, instead of having to use some obscure and poorly documented combination of keys to drop to a shell.  Would that really be such a big deal to do?  I don't mind continuing the installation with DD after partitioning the disk the way I want it with a more capable tool.  IMO anyone who checks the (non-default) box "fdisk (for advanced users)", finds himself over his head, doesn't quit immediately ("M for help" is clearly on the opening screen, and q for quit without writing the partition table is the obvious choic
e listed), and hoses his system, gets what he deserves.

 --
David Liguori