OT: computer arithmetic question on integer division

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 23:59:50 UTC 2005

Hi, thanks, to you and everybody!

My question is: how does a computer actually do it? When we are dividing a
number by a multiple of two, for example 5 = 101 divided by 2 = 10, then all we
do is shift the bit by the number of digits after the leading 1 in 2. So, 101
divided by 10 means drop the last 1 in the 101 so we get 10.

What happens if we divide 5= 101 by 3= 11? Anything similar?

No, this is not something for homework. In fact, I am not a computer scientist
but a statistician. I last turned in a homework assignment ten years ago....

I just was curious, and I thought entrepreneurial Fedora users would be the
best to ask!

Best wishes!