NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Jan 19 02:34:53 UTC 2005

Steven Pasternak writes:

> I use fedora 3 on an athlon xp and an nvidia geforce fx 5200. I go to install
> the Nvidia driver version 1.0-6629 and during the installation at the end it
> says that the license 'Nvidia' taints the kernel, but it still continues and
> seems to work. If I boot in runlevel 5, though, it gets to the part where it
> starts X (right at the beginning) and X doesn't start - It freezes. I
> uninstall the driver and use the 'nv' driver and it works. I have to compile
> the kernel module because it can't find one at the nvidia site. When I'm in
> runlevel 3 I can run the accelerated graphics until I shut down, then I have
> to boot runlevel 3 and recompile the module again. Any advise?

Advice: only use graphics cards that provide and support open source
drivers.

Otherwise, the results will be what you have now.  Although on this occasion
you might be lucky enough to find someone to give you a workaround, sooner
or later you'll be boned.  Unless, of course, you use precisely the kernel
version and build that received the official stamp of approval from NVidia.