NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Jan 19 02:37:42 UTC 2005

Michael Cobb writes:

> Steven,
>
> I have the same problem on a Opteron based FC-2 box with an Nvidia FX-500
> card. I set runlevel 3, execute startx, and look at a blank screen. I have
> been working on this problem for 2 weeks. So far no love from fedora!

Good luck getting NVidia working on an Opteron.  Their closed source driver
is 32-bit only.  It won't be easy to shoehorn it into a 64bit kernel.  Even
if it's possible at all.

There are many graphics cards with reliable, open source, native x.org
drivers.  I suggest that you pick one, and support the vendors that support
open source.