NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Jan 19 03:12:06 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry writes:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:37:42 -0500, Sam Varshavchik
> <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
>> Michael Cobb writes:
>> > Steven,
>> >
>> > I have the same problem on a Opteron based FC-2 box with an Nvidia FX-500
>> > card. I set runlevel 3, execute startx, and look at a blank screen. I have
>> > been working on this problem for 2 weeks. So far no love from fedora!
>>
>> Good luck getting NVidia working on an Opteron.  Their closed source driver
>> is 32-bit only.  It won't be easy to shoehorn it into a 64bit kernel.  Even
>> if it's possible at all.
>
> Whoa!  This is false.  I have an Athlon 64 and nVidia's drivers work
> just fine.  Please get your facts right before posting.

The only Fedora 64bit kernel I'm aware of is the Opteron kernel. There is no
athlon64-specific kernel either in the i386 Fedora build, or the x86_64
Fedora build.

If you are booting the 32-bit i686 kernel, you are running in 32bit mode.

Yes, you have a much better chance of getting the 32bit Nvidia drivers
running under your 32bit kernel.

The previous poster, though, is booting the Opteron kernel.  He's in a very
different pickle.  And if you are indeed booting the x86_64 build of Fedora,
I'm sure he'll appreciate the exact details of what you did to get Nvidia's
albatross off the ground.