Postfix or Sendmail?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jan 19 04:22:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 23:11, Ben Halicki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the process of a mailserver upgrade, just after your thoughts as to
> which MTA to go for... any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ben.

Is this a lesson in how to start a flame war?  (just kidding)  :)

I have used sendmail for many years.  Seems to do the job quite well.
There are other MTA's that are suppose to be easier to setup but they
all do pretty much the same thing.  You may want to actually install
both on different systems just to try them out.  And if you don't have
any experience at all please get a good book on the MTA you plan to
implement and read up on it.  O'Reilly publishes some very good books on
most of the major MTA's available.

I do recommend if you setup a mailserver that you also look into setting
up greylisting.  Most all MTA's have optional packages that you can
add.  For instance with sendmail I have used milter-greylist very
successfully to block most spam.  Also setup spamassassin to catch the
few spam that get past greylisting.  The combination is as close to a
100% spam solution as you can get.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

You may have heard that a dean is to faculty as a hydrant is to a dog.
		-- Alfred Kahn