Firewall Log in Fedora Core 3

Tony Dietrich td at transoft.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 11:08:28 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 Jan 2005 09:07, Rebecca D. Herber wrote:
> I know this is a newbie question but I haven't been
> able to find the answer I want. Where does Fedora Core
> 3 keep its firewall logs? I just am running the
> firewall that comes with Fedora, not any of the other
> solutions available. I probably don't even really need
> it since I'm just running a workstation install with
> no servers running and I have a router with a
> firewall.
>
> Rebecca Herber
Rebecca
AFAIK the basic Fedora firewall doesn't log. or at least not in the original
configuration.

However, I'd actually advise you to run a firewall anyway.  Although router
firewalls are OK, they are only a basic line of defence.

Your system's safety should depend on layered defences, as deep and as
complicated as you can be bothered to maintain (a badly maintained defence is
almost worse than no defence at all.)

Try downloading Shorewall.
If the configuration of Shorewall is too complex for you from the command
line, download Webmin as well, which has a pretty good module for working
with Shorewall.  You will need to know something about iptables though.

If you'd prefer something a little more user friendly, but perhaps less
friendly to a power-user, try firestarter.  I don't actually like the latest
version, but its fairly good, and has a GUI that will allow you to see what
is going on.
--
Tony Dietrich