Understanding Sendmail/Cyrus-imap installation... AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Jan 19 13:27:50 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 19.01.2005 schrieb Mark Weaver um 13:52:

> I found a post here on the list, posted by Gene Smith: Cyrus imap HOWTO
> solved!!!, that very nicely outlined the Cyrus-imap setup and followed
> it - well mostly. Cyrus appears to be working, however when I got to the
> part where you're supposed to "su cyrus" and then start the "cyradm
> localhost" commandline it failed. So, I'm off to CPAN to get the
> necessary module to install so's I can run this config tool.

Please read the docs more carefully. cyradm is shipped with the Core
packages! Why wouldn't it not as it is essentially needed to administer
Cyrus-IMAPd?

$ rpm -ql cyrus-imapd-utils | grep cyradm
/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyradm
/usr/share/man/man1/cyradm.1.gz

> One of my questions is why is this necessary? I can only assume the
> obvious is that its because "this is how Cyrus-imap operates." however,
> with the config of Sendmail and Cyrus as it is now everything connects
> ok and appears to be working meaning I can connect to the SMTP but when
> I attempt to connect to the imap service I'm told the user's mailbox
> doesn't exist! HORSE PUCKY! of course the mailbox exists... its right
> there in  /var/spool/mail/<username>. Did I mention that I've transfered
> all user files and mail from the old server to this FC3 server box?
>
> Why is it telling me the user mailbox doesn't exist?

Because you didn't carefully enough read the documentation. Else you
would realize that Cyrus-IMAPd does not use the mbox storage under
/var/spool/mail/. And that you have to create the mailboxes using cyradm
for each user (or to use the autocreate patch options).

> Mark

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.9_FC2smp
Serendipity 14:19:20 up 4 days, 21:41, load average: 0.04, 0.24, 0.18